I am always looking for ways to get more of the healthy Omega 3 fatty acids into my family. Seafood, especially salmon and tuna are some of the best sources of Omega 3's. For this reason I try to serve fish at least once a week (ideally twice a week) to my family. To learn more about Omega 3's visit this post. If you ever check out my meal plan posts you've probably seen salmon or tuna cakes on each meal plan at least once. They are a monthly staple in our house and a favorite recipe. Plus, they are EASY to make. I hope you enjoy them too.
Easy Salmon (or Tuna) Cakes
Recipe adapted from Dr. Sears Wellness Institute
Makes 4 - 5 patties (I make 5 medium sized patties because we have a family of 5)
- 2 6-ounce cans of salmon or tuna (I've found no added salt salmon at Trader Joe's and no added salt tuna at Whole Foods for those on sodium restriction like me)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (or almond meal or ground oats)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp granulated garlic)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (infused olive oil is really good)
- For a Mexican variation add: 1/3 cup corn, 1/3 black beans, dash hot sauce or Tabasco to taste)
- For an Asian variation add: 2 Tbsp soy sauce or liquid aminos, 1/3 cup peas, 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- For an Italian variation add: 1/4 cup marinara, 1/2 cup diced bell pepper, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 2 tsp Italian seasoning, mozzarella sprinkled on top
- For a Thai variation: 2 tsp curry powder, 1/3 cup shredded zucchini
Mix all ingredients together. Heat a bit of oil in a skillet and place a scoop of the mixture in and flatten to about 1/2 inch thick. Brown on both sides.
Or heat oven to 400 degrees. Place the cakes on a baking sheet and bake for 7 - 15 minutes. This is my preferred method since it's more hands off.
I like to serve these on buns like a hamburger my kids will actually eat them believer it or not! You can also eat them by themselves like an entree or use them as a salad topping.
Don't forget that Health Happens at Home,
Affiliate links are included in this post. Learn more here. Thanks for supporting my site.
It's Recipe Redux! Let's get out the slow cooker and make a big batch of beans for future meals. Get an easy recipe here.
#thereciperedux A fresh delicious recipe for Mini Rose Cakes.
A recipe for a Mocktail of Sparkling Cardamom Grapefruit Juice.
Don't toss those veggie scraps or chicken bones. Save, freeze and use to make broth instead. Get the details here.
#thereciperedux Get an easy oven pancake recipe using ingredients you probably have on hand. - Health Happens at Home
A simple, healthy taco pizza recipe. #thereciperedux
A super easy dish for under $3 per serving.
#thereciperedux Salmon Loaf. Packed with Omega 3s and my picky eaters gobbled it up!
#thereciperedux A spiced coffee recipe. Get a homemade, healthier alterative to high priced spiced coffees.
#thereciperedux It's a plant protein power bowl: Amaranth, Lentil, Sweet Potato Bowl!