I had hard time finding a chewy granola bar recipe, this is a heavily edited version of one I received from a friend several years ago. This recipe is easy to adapt based on your family's preferences or what you have on hand. I've included the ingredients we use most often but you can omit the extracts, substitute sweeteners, or even halve the recipe depending on your needs. Don't be put off by the number of ingredients in this recipe. It's super easy!
In my quest to reduce the sugar consumption of my family, I've now started using date paste as part of the sweetener. It's super easy to make and you can freeze it if you make a larger batch, thawing as needed. Check out my recipe here.
Here is an Amazon link to the bowls I love. Then spread your mix into a half sheet pan. Be sure the pan is lined (I like Silpats) or oiled.
I like to dump my pan onto the counter and use a pizza cutter to slice into bars.
Chewy Granola Bar Recipe
Yield: half sheet pan (24 square bars)
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups whole spelt flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup oil (or butter)
- 1 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cup date paste (or 3/4 cup coconut or brown sugar)
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed, ground
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1 tsp orange zest, dried (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut, shredded, unsweetened (optional)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, raw (optional)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced (optional)
- Any other dried fruit, nut, seed, or chocolate as desired
Cool for a few minutes then turn pan onto counter and cut into bars of desired size. Then return bars to pan and freeze for about 2 hours then transfer to freezer safe storage container. Thaw at room temperature or in microwave (30 - 45 seconds) when ready to eat.
*can halve recipe to bake in a 8.5 x 11 inch pan. Use 1 egg.
Let me know how you like these in the comments below!
Amazon Affiliate links were included in this post. Learn more here. Thanks for your support!