Facts on Spelt:
- Berries can be used like other grains (rice, quinoa, amaranth) or ground into flour and used in place of whole wheat in recipes.
- Has a softer more cake like texture than red or even white whole wheat flour
- Contains less gluten than modern wheat so it's better tolerated by some but is still not safe for those with Celiac's disease.
- Is a cousin of wheat and nutritionally similar
- The tough hull of the spelt plant makes it more naturally resistant to pests and diseases than modern wheat, reducing the need for fertilizers and pesticides.
- Contains B-vitamins and the minerals iron, manganese and iron
- Whole grains including whole spelt aid digestive health, lower cholesterol, aid in blood pressure and weight control.
Sources/Resources for more information:
Ancient Grains: Unlock the Powerful Potential of Ancient Grains and Transform Your Diet and Health Today by Jessica Campbell
I used spelt flour 1 for 1 in place of all purpose/while whole wheat in baking with great results. Spelt berries to make porridge are also available but I couldn't find any locally or online at a reasonable price. I order my spelt flour from Amazon on Subscribe and Save.
Orange Cranberry Ancient Grain Granola Recipe. #thereciperedux
Links on yoga, personality types, gut microbiome, store bought snacks, and ancient grains to inspire healthier living.