Affiliate links may be included in this post. Learn more here. Thanks for your support!
Facts on Buckwheat:
- Actually a seed from a plant related to rhubarb
- Buckwheat groats are a complete protein meaning they contain all the essential amino acids.
- Good source of B vitamins, manganese, cooper, magnesium, phosphorus and fiber
- The bran in buckwheat contains a flavinoid that has been found to lower cholesterol and blood pressure
- Buckwheat flowers are attractive to bees and used to make a dark colored honey
- Buckwheat flour is often used in pancakes and Asian soba noodles
To prepare Buckwheat:
- Bring 2 parts liquid and 1 part buckwheat groats to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and let simmer until groats are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain any excess liquid.
AND use those groats to make the amazing Mushroom and Goat Cheese Buckwheat.
Content in this post first appeared in my monthly newsletter, subscribe below to be among the first to get new content!
Don't forget that health happens at home,
Ancient grain summary of posts including recipes links!
Summing up the ancient grain sorghum.
Get the basics on buckwheat!
Orange Cranberry Ancient Grain Granola Recipe. #thereciperedux
Links on yoga, personality types, gut microbiome, store bought snacks, and ancient grains to inspire healthier living.
Facts on Freekeh are here and the series on ancient grains continues.
Sick of sweets for breakfast? Try this savory Mushroom Goat Cheese Buckwheat. #thereciperedux
Get some facts on the ancient grain bulgur. Plus my favorite recipe using bulgur!
Get the scoop on the ancient grain Teff.
Learn about the ancient grain Kamut.