Did you know that the our stomach is about the size of our fist? So we only need a fist sized amount of food at each meal and snack. Transitioning from three mega meals to small portions eating throughout the day (a.k.a. grazing) will increase metabolism and help our stomachs feel better.
Portion control is a lifestyle choice. Lifestyle is one of the four pillars of health. You can learn more about the four pillars of health: Lifestyle, Exercise, Attitude, Nutrition here. The four pillars are also covered in each of the workshops I teach. Get details here. Ready to sign up? Check the sign up page or contact me.
Here are some solutions on increase satisfaction with the right amount of food:
- Use smaller plates
- Avoid thinking you have to "clean your plate". Stop eating when you feel full or satisfied. (Yes there are starving children around the world, but you aren't feeding them by overeating. Click here for more information on feeding a hungry child)
- If you struggle with overeating, plate your food in the kitchen an avoid putting bowls of food on the table. (At my house we plate our food from the pots and pans because bowls of food on the table creates more dishes to wash. #ihatewashingdishes)
- Choose only Green Light Foods (fruits and vegetables) as snacks before meals.
- Eat a variety of Green and Yellow Light foods to provide your body with the nutrients it needs. Variety is the spice of life! (If you need more information on Traffic Light Eating, check out this post and get the printable too!)
- Listen to your own hunger cues and don't eat more food simply because it's offered.
- Eat slowly. The brain and the body have a system that tells us when to stop eating but it takes a few minutes. So slow down.
- Let children serve themselves. Studies show children who serve themselves tend to take less food than parents serve them.
Get some facts on the ancient grain bulgur. Plus my favorite recipe using bulgur!
It's Recipe Redux! Let's get out the slow cooker and make a big batch of beans for future meals. Get an easy recipe here.
Get the scoop on the ancient grain Teff.
A review of the Sun Basket meal kit service. See if this company is right for you.
June 2017 Meal plan with recipe links and my plan for decent lunches at the pool this summer.
Learn about the ancient grain Kamut.
A recipe for a Mocktail of Sparkling Cardamom Grapefruit Juice.
Links on nuts for health, treats for kids, stress, fitness apps, whole grains to inspire healthier living.
Don't toss those veggie scraps or chicken bones. Save, freeze and use to make broth instead. Get the details here.
Content in this post was adapted from L.E.A.N Start Workshops developed by the Dr. Sears Wellness Institute. This was originally posted in the December Nutrition Nibbles Newsletter. Subscribe below and be the first to get new content. Connect with me on social media, too!
Affiliate links were included in this post. Learn more here. Thanks for supporting my site!