Our mind is a part of our body. Obvious, I know. But really dwell on the fact that our thoughts have an impact on our health. Adjusting your attitude is essential to making progress on your wellness journey. Attitude is really just the "outward expression of inward feelings (source)". A positive attitude is good for your body and what's good for your body also benefits the mind.
So, how can we improve our attitude to benefit our health?
- Stay positive and control your thoughts. Aim for an optimistic outlook on life. You can't control your life, but you can control your reactions. Try not to dwell on your problems, but get help when you need it. Don't sweat the small stuff. Concentrate on important things, getting support when you need it. Journaling can help, get details here.
- Practice gratitude. Being thankful helps you focus on the positive things.
- Control stress. Learn how to relax. Practice deep breathing. Take time to meditate and pray. Listen to music. Get a massage or even just a hug.
- Serve someone else. Making someone else happy actually makes you happy. Help the less fortunate. Get some ideas here.
- Move! Exercise releases the happy hormones serotonin and endorphins which helps improve mental state.
- Feed the happy hormones by eating nutritious foods, especially complex carbohydrates in combination with a healthy fat and protein. Avoid simple sugars in sodas and sweet snacks which lean to a surge followed by a crash in those hormones.
- Laugh. Laughter reduces cortisol (the body's stress response) and increases immune function. It also increases heart rate and circulation similar to an aerobic workout. Make a list of things that make you (or your family) laugh and use the list often.
Read more about attitude in these posts.
Pick one item from above and work on it this week. Let me know what you picked in the comments below.
Don't forget that Health Happens at Home,
Some links from around the web about essential oils, benefits of exercise, life changing success stories, and food psychology.
One woman's journey of adopting health as a hobby and how it transformed her life! A guest post success story!
Links on meal planning, grocery shopping, smart snacking and more to inspire healthier living.
Links on lean living, reducing plastic, food additives to avoid, pointing kids to Jesus and a muffin recipe!
L.E.A.N. Living: the keys to a healthier life.
Links on managing emotions, movement, school lunches, meal kit services, and organic produce to inspire healthier living.
Get some nutrition basics to live lean.
Adjust your attitude to aid in getting lean!
Learn more about L.E.A.N. and how movement fits in the equation.
Stressed out? Get some relief with these 8 tips.